The creation of the internet not only changed life as we know it, but it also revolutionized the business world. From providing new business opportunities to increasing and improving the ways companies connect with customers, there are a plethora of ways the internet has benefited organizations around the world. Yet, with all the good the internet has to offer, it has also negatively impacted the corporate landscape as well, namely through cyber attacks.
Your office likely relies on a variety of devices—computers, servers, mobile devices, and more—to complete daily workflows. When these technologies connect to the internet, they become vulnerable to cyber threats like viruses, Trojans, and bots. As a business owner, the last thing you want is for your operations to be hindered by malware or intrusion attempts.
The best way to protect your infrastructure from malicious actors is to invest in cyber security. Also known as an IT security solution, cyber security refers to the practice of taking measures to secure your systems, network, and applications. The ultimate goal is to ensure the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of your information.
Cyber security isn’t just a firewall, it refers to a variety of preventive services that work together to keep your network safe. These services can be divided into a few different categories.
- Network: Network security is focused on safeguarding computer networks from intruders.
- Application: This is the process of securing software and devices.
- Information: Information is vulnerable both in storage and in transit. This solution is specifically aimed at protecting that data.
- Operational: This affects the decisions and processes for handling data, including management of user permissions when accessing a network.
- Disaster Recovery: How you respond after a cyber attack is just as important as preventing it. This service helps you resume normal business operations.
- Education: You’re only as strong as your weakest link, and, for most companies, that weak link is the staff. It’s necessary to train employees in cyber security best practices.
Purchasing antivirus software may be enough to keep your home devices safe, but enterprises require something a little more robust. Due to the sensitive information you have access to and the frequency at which commercial offices are targeted, all organizations should have a comprehensive IT security solution. This can be obtained by partnering with a managed services provider (MSP).
An MSP is a company that specializes in a variety of IT services, including network security. The MSP’s IT security consultant can analyze your IT environment and identify vulnerabilities that could be exploited. Additionally, they have the training and experience to help you close those gaps in your protection.
The reason why it’s necessary to have a comprehensive defense that protects your network from all angles is because there are many different types of cyber threats. Each threat exploits infrastructure vulnerabilities in different ways.
Here are a few of the most common types of cyber threats to be aware of:
- Phishing: Phishing is when cyber criminals create fraudulent emails that are disguised as messages from reliable sources. The aim is to use social engineering to trick you into giving up sensitive information like credit card numbers or login information.
- Ransomware: Numerous companies in the last few years have fallen victim to ransomware. This kind of attack encrypts files, locking you out of a program or even your entire operating system. A ransom is then requested to unencrypt the information.
- Malware: Malware includes any malicious software that can sneak onto your system and cause damage or grant unauthorized access. This includes Trojans, viruses, worms, and spyware.
- Distributed Denial of Service: Also known as a DDoS attack, this is an attempt from a cyber criminal to disrupt the normal traffic of a targeted server.
If you want to protect your computer systems from threats, let the experts at Stability Networks help. We are an industry-leading MSP that’s committed to delivering high-quality IT solutions. As your partner, we can evaluate your infrastructure for vulnerabilities. After we’ve discovered where improvements can be made, we then help you strengthen your overall security posture.
Contact us today to learn more about the services we offer.