Cloud-based computing is one of the most powerful information technology solutions out there today. It offers many advantages and benefits to any business that moves their services to a cloud environment. Cloud services provide increased mobility, security, and stability in your IT performance. One of the few hurdles in the way of this growing trend is the actual process of moving your data to the cloud.
It is called migration. General data migration is a term for moving your present data to new hardware or devices. In this case, it is just another name for shifting your services and application to the cloud. To muddy the waters even more, companies must choose whether they want to move into a private or public cloud. They both offer significant advantages. Whatever path your company selects, the digital transformation is nearly unavoidable at this point. Here are some of the best practices to consider when you are implementing cloud migration services.
- Plan with A Company-Wide Perspective: A cloud migration strategy is not a one-step process. The bulk of the workload in the migration process is going to fall on your service provider or IT department, but that does not mean they are the only ones that should stay informed. Moving to the cloud is a process that will affect your entire enterprise, and they should all be aware of it. Make sure that every department is integrated into the effort and aware of all the new features that come with a cloud platform.
- Build on Your Efforts: A move to the cloud will offer many advantages, but they will only be effective if everyone understands their value. Think of the migration planning as a team building process to optimize the new ways that your operations will function. The migration to the cloud is an opportunity that you must jump on. Every step of the cloud migration should build on the last one and towards a more productive future for your business.
- Don’t Forget Your Goals: When you are managing a major project, it can be easy to miss the forest through the trees. There will be lists of tasks and deadlines to meet, but the ultimate goal is to enhance the functions of your business. Remind your employees of the final goal and keep them motivated by stressing the results. Give your people a strong purpose and encourage them along the way. The cloud migration is only one part of the journey of your business. Don’t let them forget that their contributions are crucial.
- Teach as You Go: Hands-on teaching will always be more effective than just offering large tomes of information. Those large books will waste paper and most likely just sit on someone’s shelf. Use the migration as a hands-on experience for your employees and a teaching tool for what they can do while running in the cloud. If you manage the opportunity effectively, you will come out of it with a stronger and a more capable team.
- Build on Your Success: Once you have had a successful cloud migration, don’t let this time of success go to waste. Encourage those that helped during this time and make the most of your new resources. Don’t immediately break down the teams you built to implement this new change. Take the time to document what you have learned, and the way things could be run smoother next time.
Stability Networks is an IT services provider, we can help you start the migration to the cloud today. We will be there to enhance your operations and make sure that you get the best performance out of your new tools and resources. Our services will be there to support you along the way and after as you continue your success.